Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Color chart


Yesterday I decided to make a color chart that has all of my watercolors on one page so I can compare how they look dried. It is nice to have them all in one place on the same type of paper. The paper is Cold Press Strathmore Watercolor Paper 140#. The watercolor sets I have from left to right top to bottom are:

Yarka - Jack Richeson - St. Petersburg - Set of 24

Derwent - Inktense  Blocks - Set of 12

Kuretake - Gansai Tambi - Set of 12

Sakura - Koi Pocket Field Sketch Box - Set of 12

Then I have a few tubes, 4 Winsor & Newton Cotman, 3 Grumbacher, and 1 Daniel Smith.

I can't believe how pale the Koi paints are in comparison, for 10 or more years they were the only watercolors I had and I thought they were amazing. I love the Yarka set, the quality of the paints are great and the palette is very easy to take everywhere but I do not like the thin plastic insert that holds the paints, it is starting to deteriorate. I just bought my first tube of Daniel Smith a couple of weeks ago, for some reason Daniel Smith Lavender was a daily deal on amazon, so I bought it and it is beautiful! It almost has a sparkle to it.

I put my brushes in the photo so you could see what I use. They are a set of Handmade Modern from Target, the whole set was only $19 but they are great quality for that price. It was a great way for me to try out a lot of brushes without spending a ton of money. Right now I am in love with the brush they call a "rigger". It is perfect for fine details on feathers, fur, or bearded dragon spikes. I tend to get caught up in the details since that brush is so fun to use.



I wish I had thought of making a color chart sooner, it is nice to see all of the different paints I have to choose from in one place. I am going to do the same thing with all of my gouache when I get a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment