Monday, October 24, 2022

Leaf prints






We have an old concrete block silo in our back yard with no roof on it. Inside of the silo there are a bunch of ferns growing. It is like looking into a different world when you put your head through the small opening. I have wanted to make prints of these fern leaves for a long time. Our house is on the market so I have kept all of my art supplies tucked away for months. We don’t have any showings scheduled right now so I dug out my printmaking supplies and made some mono prints. (I believe that is the right term) 

The process: I have a large piece of glass that I mixed the ink on and spread it out with a brayer. Next I put a leaf on the ink covered glass to ink the other side with the brayer. Then I would take the leaf and lay it on a large sheet of paper and put another piece of paper on top like a leaf sandwich. After that I took a clean brayer and rolled it over the top piece of paper. With this method each leaf made 2 prints. 

I also found some fairly large maple leaves. I wanted these to be more colorful so I added some acrylic paint to the mix but then it really didn’t spread as good because the brayer did not want to roll very well. I am very happy with the result. I have them all laying on the floor to dry and it makes me happy to look at the little collection. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment